|'Are You That Somebody?'|
|Single by Aaliyah|
|from the album Dr. Dolittle|
|Released||June 16, 1998|
|Format||CD single, maxi single, vinyl record|
|Recorded||1998; The Village Recorder|
(Los Angeles, California)
|Songwriter(s)||Static Major, Tim 'Timbaland' Mosley|
|Aaliyah singles chronology|
|Timbaland singles chronology|
- Download ARE YOU THAT SOMEBODY by AALIYAH free. #1 rated music site. 6.5 Million songs. Get lyrics ♫ music videos for your iPhone®.
- 2018-8-3 Free Mp3 Are You That Somebody Aaliyah Download, Lyric Are You That Somebody Aaliyah Chord Guitar, Free Ringtone Are You That Somebody Aaliyah Download, and Get Are You That Somebody Aaliyah Hiqh Qualtiy audio from Amazon, Spotify, Deezer, Itunes, Google Play, Youtube, Soundcloud and More.
Check out Are You That Somebody? By Aaliyah on Amazon Music. Stream ad-free or purchase CD's and MP3s now on Amazon.com.
'Are You That Somebody?' is a Grammy nominated single performed by American singer Aaliyah, recorded for the Dr. Dolittle soundtrack. The song was written and composed by Static Major, who also sang backing vocals, and Timbaland, who, in addition to writing the song, produced and performed a guest rap for it. The song was sent to U.S. pop radio stations on September 29, 1998 (see 1998 in music). The song samples the sound of a baby cooing from producer Jac Holzman's 1964 track 'Happy Baby' from Authentic Sound Effects Volume 8 (later used in Perrey and Kingsley's 1966 hit 'Countdown at 6' off The In Sound from Way Out!) and also samples The Meters' 1974 single 'People Say'.
The song was listed 387th on The 500 Greatest Songs Since You Were Born, a list of songs compiled by Blender magazine.Rolling Stone ranked the song at number 24 on its '50 Best songs of the nineties list'. It was also ranked 18th on Spin magazine's Top 20 Singles of the 1990s, and 5th on The Village Voice's 1998 Pazz & Jop critics' poll. Pitchfork Media included the song at number 8 on their Top 200 Tracks of the 1990s.Slant Magazine ranked the song at number 19 on their 100 best singles of the 1990s list. This song earned Aaliyah a Grammy Award nomination for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance.
- 3Critical reception
- 5Music video
According to a Static Major article in Vibe magazine, when Timbaland first presented the song to Aaliyah, she initially showed disdain for it. However, she eventually agreed to record it. In a behind the scenes video featuring Timbaland, he reveals that the record was recorded in a couple of hours after a show and that the record almost didn't happen. Are You That Somebody? was recorded at Capital Records Studio In Los Angeles and according to engineer Jimmy Douglass the recording session for the song was 'a soup-to-nuts session' ; which means the entire song was recorded and mixed in one session. The group worked on the song from 11:00 p.m to 9:00 a.m. and the last things that was added to the song were the baby noises and Timbaland's ad lib's such as 'Dirty South'.
Composition and lyrical interpretation
Are you that Somebody? is an R&B and pop song with the avant-funk genre incorporated within the song's sound. The song also features a variety of sounds such as frenetic staccato guitars, beat-boxing, drum-and-bass from the drum programming and a sample of a baby crying. Lyrically the song is about 'a late-night rendezvous with a special someone that needed to be kept on the hush'. On the song Aaliyah's 'sweet but street' persona is in full effect, as she declares, 'Sometimes I'm goody-goody / Right now I'm naughty naughty.' There's a sense of longing in the appearance of the song's title ('Cause I really need somebody / Tell me are you that somebody') and also in the way she sings it, stretching out the syllables to the point of desperation and then keeping up with the beat with hurried, jumbled phrasings.' 
Larry Flick from Billboard felt that Aaliyah was on her way to becoming 'the New Queen of soundtrack hits' because of this song. Flick also praised the song for its smooth melody and clever lyrics saying 'At the same time it has a smooth melody and clever lyrics that will connect with folks who require traditional structure in their pop music.' In its album guide, Rolling Stone commented that the song 'remains one of '90s' R&B's most astounding moments.' In 1999 Spin included the song on their Top 20 singles list and they felt that Aaliyah's vocals and timbalands production on the song was like 'an R&B singin in the rain'. Damien Scott from Complex felt that Are You That Somebody perfectly captured multiple traits found on Aaliyah's first two albums. According to Scott 'Aaliyah's oeuvre was an exercise in self-awareness. Her first two albums carefully toed the line between adolescence and adulthood, displaying a woman exploring the terrain of love, trust, and lust; one who exuded a playful innocence while hinting at a more sultry side. Her crowning achievement, a collaboration between her, Timbaland, and Static Major, 'Are You That Somebody,' would capture all of that perfectly'. Quentin B. Huff from PopMatters feels that the song ' is just too good to be relegated to soundtrack status'. He continued praising the song saying,'It's a fantastic track, with a stomping rhythm alternatingly accented by the strangest bundle of noise. It sounds like someone shaking dice or cracking their knuckles or twisting a Rubik's Cube really fast -- I can never decide which'.
In 1999 'Are You That Somebody?' was nominated at the 41st Annual Grammy Awards for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance; this was Aaliyah's first Grammy nomination. The video for the song was nominated for Best R&B Video and Best Video from a Film at the 16th annual MTV Video Music Awards. At the 8th annual MTV Movie Awards the song was nominated for Best Song from a Movie. At the 1999 NAACP Image Awards the video was nominated for Outstanding Music Video. At the 1999 Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards the song was nominated for Favorite Song. At the 1999 Soul Train Lady of Soul Awards the song was nominated for Best R&B/Soul Song and Best R&B/Soul or Rap Music Video.
'Are You That Somebody?' wasn't released commercially to retail stores as a single, so the song's chart success depended on only radio airplay. During its chart run Billboard changed its policy to allow airplay-only singles to chart on the Hot 100. On December 5, 1998 the song reached its peaked within the top 40 at number 21 on the hot 100 chart. In August 1998 the song peaked at number 1 on both the R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay and Rhythmic charts. Three months later in November 1998 the song peaked within the top 10 of the Mainstream Top 40 chart at number 6. Elsewhere in North America, the song peaked within the top 20 in Canada at number 11 on the singles chart. Also in Canada the song peaked at number 2 on the urban charts on August 31, 1998.
In Europe 'Are You That Somebody?' peaked within the top 40 at number 40 on the Ultratop 50 Wallonia charts in Belgium. In Germany the song entered the Official German Charts at number 91 on November 9, 1998. The song reached its peak eleven weeks later on January 25, 1999 at number 31. In the Netherlands the song entered the Single Top 100 chart at number 65 on October 17, 1998. Eventually the song reached its peak at number 3 on November 14, 1998 and it remained at number three for a total of three weeks.Also in The Netherlands the song peaked at number 3 on the Dutch top 40 charts for a total of 3 weeks as well. In the UK the song peaked within the top 20 at number 11 on the official charts on September 12, 1998.Also the song peaked within the top 5 of the UK R&B and Dance chart at number 2 and 4 respectively. According to the official charts company 'Are You That Somebody?' is Aaliyah's third best selling single in that region. In the Oceania region the song entered the New Zealand charts at number 43 on October 4, 1998, a week later the song peaked at number 1 on October 11, 1998.
The music video for 'Are You That Somebody?' was directed by Mark Gerard, and with choreography by Fatima Robinson. It begins with Timbaland and a crew of men riding motorcycles to a cave where Aaliyah and other women are waiting. As Timbaland and the crew arrive, a hologram of a metal door seals the opening of the cave. The men notice that the seal is a hologram and drive through it. Inside the cave clips of Dr. Dolittle are projected on several walls in the background. As Aaliyah's first verse starts she holds a large bird on her arm and everyone begins to perform the choreography. There are scenes with just the women dancing, just the men dancing, both the women and men dancing, and Aaliyah performing alone. There are no scenes with just the men and Aaliyah dancing. Also shown is Timbaland rapping with the group Playa in the background. The video ends with Aaliyah and the dancers performing a flamenco dance.
During its chart run the music video for 'Are You That Somebody?' received heavy TV airplay on multiple music video count down shows. For the week ending on July 5, 1998 the video was the second most played video on BET. For the week ending on July 12, 1998 the video was America's number one most played video on The Box. Meanwhile between September 20 through September 27, 1998 the music video was the number one most played video on MTV. The video was featured on Complex's 'The Best R&B Videos of the '90s list' and writer Ernest Baker praised the video. He also felt that her clothes, and choreography in the video was revolutionary and groundbreaking.
In March 2007, American Indie rock band, Gossip, covered the song on BBC's music program 6music. A full studio version was leaked in 2009 and later released on the Ministry of Sound Volume 2 compilation in 2010. In 2009, Canadian rapper Drake interpolated a portion of the song's chorus in his verse on Young Money Entertainment's 'BedRock'; 'Girl I gotta watch my back, 'cause I'm not just anybody.' In 2011, a cover with a rap verse by Wax was recorded by The Red Ribbon Army.Samples from the song have been used in numerous electronic, and, most recently, dubstep tracks. One prominent use of the sample was by James Blake on the track 'CMYK' from his 2010 EP of the same name.In 2013, American rapper Lil Wayne interpolated a part of the song into the chorus for his song 'Love Me' singing the lines 'cause I really need somebody, tell me you're that somebody'. In 2014, singer Banks performed an acoustic version of this song on a BBC radio 1 Live Lounge. In 2018, U.S. a cappella group Pentatonix recorded the song as a medley combined with New Rules, by Dua Lipa, for their new album PTX Presents: Top Pop, Vol. I.
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Gold||15,000*|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- ^ abc'Rolling Stone Album Guide: Aaliyah'. Rolling Stone. Retrieved October 20, 2010.
- ^ abc'50 Best Songs of the Nineties'. Rolling Stone.
- ^ ab'Remembering Aaliyah in five career-defining hits'. Retrieved June 23, 2018.
- ^'Who Was the Baby on Aaliyah's 'Are You That Somebody?''. Red Bull Music Academy Daily. July 2016.
- ^'Are You That Somebody? sampled People Say'. WhoSampled.
- ^'The 500 Greatest Songs Since You Were Born: 351-400 Article on Blender :: The Ultimate Guide to Music and More'. March 22, 2009.
- ^'The Top 200 Tracks of the 1990s: 20-01 - Pitchfork'. pitchfork.com.
- ^'The 100 Best Singles of the 1990s - Feature - Slant Magazine'.
- ^'Are You That Somebody? by Aaliyah'. Songfacts. Retrieved October 12, 2010.
- ^PerceptionMediaGroup (March 25, 2012). 'Timbaland talks about creating 'Are you that somebody'' – via YouTube.
- ^ ab'A look back 20 years to the debut album of Aaliyah, the R. Kelly scandal, and her Timbaland-produced follow-up that set the R&B format on fire'. Wax Poetics. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- ^'The 50 Best Timbaland Beats'. Complex. April 11, 2013. Retrieved December 10, 2018.
- ^'10 Best Songs From Aaliyah Songs'. The Boombox. Retrieved December 14, 2018.
- ^ ab'My Favorite Aaliyah Things'. PopMatters. Retrieved January 6, 2018.
- ^Inc, Nielsen Business Media (May 30, 1998). 'Billboard'. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. – via Google Books.
- ^LLC, SPIN Media (September 1, 1999). 'SPIN'. SPIN Media LLC – via Google Books.
- ^'The 25 Best Aaliyah Songs'. Complex. May 19, 2016. Retrieved July 20, 2018.
- ^'CNN - 41st annual Grammy nominees - January 5, 1999'.
- ^Hay, Carla (August 7, 1999). 'Retail:MTV Awards Will Boost Martin'. Billboard. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^Ryan, Joal (April 20, 1999). 'There's Something About' MTV Movie Awards'. E! News. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^The Crisis. The Crisis Publishing Company, Inc. p. 25. ISSN0011-1422. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^'Kid Power! - tribunedigital-sunsentinel'. articles.sun-sentinel.com. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^'Lauryn Hill, Monica Top Lady Of Soul Nominees - MTV'. mtv.com. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^'In 1998, 'Iris,' 'Torn,' & Other Radio Smashes Hit the Hot 100 at Last After a Key Rule Change'. Billboard. May 30, 2018. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^'The Hot 100'. Billboard. December 5, 1998. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^'R&B/Hip Hop Airplay'. Billboard. August 1, 1998. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^'Rhythmic Songs'. Billboard. August 22, 1998. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^'Pop Songs'. Billboard. November 21, 1998. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^ ab'Aaliyah - Chart history - Billboard'. November 8, 2015.
- ^'RPM Urban Top 30'. RPM. August 31, 1998. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^'Aaliyah-Are You That Somebody'. Ultratop. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^'Aaliyah-Are You That Somebody'. Official German Charts. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^'Aaliyah-Are You That Somebody'. Single Top 100. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^'Aaliyah-Are You That Somebody'. Dutch Top 40. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^'Official Singles Chart Top 100'. Official Charts Company. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^'Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40'. Official Charts Company. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^'Official Dance Singles Chart Top 40'. Official Charts Company. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^Myers, Justin (January 16, 2018). 'More Than A Woman: Aaliyah remembered on her birthday'. Official Charts Company. Retrieved December 10, 2018.
- ^'AALIYAH - ARE YOU THAT SOMEBODY?'. Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^'mvdbase.com - Aaliyah - 'Are you that somebody?''. www.mvdbase.com.
- ^'Video Monitor'. Billboard. July 18, 1998. Retrieved December 28, 2018.
- ^'Video Monitor'. Billboard. July 25, 1998. Retrieved December 28, 2018.
- ^'Video Monitor'. Billboard. October 3, 1998. Retrieved December 28, 2018.
- ^'Video Monitor'. Billboard. October 10, 1998. Retrieved December 28, 2018.
- ^ ab'The Best R&B Videos of the '90'. Complex. November 9, 2017. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- ^'Why Everybody Loves Covering Aaliyah'. March 20, 2014.
- ^'A History of Drake's Obsession With AaliyahDrake References 'Are U That Somebody' On 'BedRock''. Complex.
- ^'Are You That Somebody? (feat. Wax) – Single on iTunes'. Retrieved May 25, 2011.
- ^'James Blake: CMYK EP Album Review - Pitchfork'. pitchfork.com.
- ^'Lil Wayne feat. Future and Drake's 'Love Me' - Discover the Sample Source'. WhoSampled.
- ^'The Perfect Aaliyah Cover? BANKS Just Nailed It'.
- ^'Pentatonix Mash Up 'New Rules' & 'Are You That Somebody?' on 'Late Late Show': Watch'. Retrieved December 10, 2018.
- ^'Ultratop.be – Aaliyah – Are You That Somebody?' (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved November 27, 2017.
- ^'Ultratop.be – Aaliyah – Are You That Somebody?' (in French). Ultratop 50. Retrieved November 27, 2017.
- ^'Top RPM Dance/Urban: Issue 7895.' RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved November 27, 2018.
- ^'Euro Chart Hot 100'(PDF). Music & Media. September 19, 1998. p. 11. Retrieved March 11, 2018.
- ^'Offiziellecharts.de – Aaliyah – Are You That Somebody?'. GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved October 9, 2018.
- ^ 'Nederlandse Top 40 – week 48, 1998' (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40 Retrieved December 8, 2017.
- ^'Dutchcharts.nl – Aaliyah – Are You That Somebody?' (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- ^'Charts.nz – Aaliyah – Are You That Somebody?'. Top 40 Singles. Retrieved November 27, 2017.
- ^'Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100'. Official Charts Company.
- ^'Swisscharts.com – Aaliyah – Are You That Somebody?'. Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved November 27, 2017.
- ^'Official Singles Chart Top 100'. Official Charts Company. Retrieved December 13, 2018.
- ^'Official Dance Singles Chart Top 40'. Official Charts Company. Retrieved November 28, 2017.
- ^'Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40'. Official Charts Company. Retrieved March 4, 2016.
- ^'Aaliyah Chart History (Hot 100)'. Billboard.
- ^'Aaliyah Chart History (Pop Songs)'. Billboard. Retrieved November 29, 2017.
- ^'Aaliyah Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay)'. Billboard. Retrieved May 26, 2017.
- ^'Aaliyah Chart History (Rhythmic)'. Billboard. Retrieved November 29, 2017.
- ^'RPM's Top 100 Hit Tracks of '98'(PDF). RPM. Vol. 63 no. 12. December 14, 1998. p. 20. Retrieved March 23, 2019.
- ^'RPM's Top 50 Urban Tracks of '98'. RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved March 3, 2019.
- ^'Jaarlijsten 1998' (in Dutch). Stichting Nederlandse Top 40. Retrieved December 13, 2017.
- ^dutchcharts (1998). 'Jaaroverzichten 1998'. Retrieved December 13, 2017.
- ^'End of Year Charts 1998'. Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved December 4, 2017.
- ^'Dutch single certifications – Aaliyah – Are You That Somebody' (in Dutch). Nederlandse Vereniging van Producenten en Importeurs van beeld- en geluidsdragers. Retrieved August 23, 2018.Enter Are You That Somebody in the 'Artiest of titel' box.
- ^'New Zealand single certifications – Aaliyah – Are You That Somebody?'. Recorded Music NZ.
- 'Are You That Somebody?' at Discogs (list of releases)
- Aaliyah.com — official site
- Lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
Choose where you want to share:
Link to this page
Embed on your site
The score can be downloaded in the format of your preference:
Open in MuseScore
View and print
PDF including partsPro feature
Full score and individual parts
Open in various software
Open in editors and sequencers
Listen to this score
Your download has started. Having troubles downloading? Try again
Andre_4k worked hard on this score.
Want to give something back?
Give a small token of appreciation!
Your download has started. Having troubles downloading? Try again
More of this, please?
Follow to get notified when Andre_4k has uploaded new scores.Or give a reward instead
Uploaded on Apr 14, 2017
|Key signature||2 flats|
|Part names||Flute, Clarinet, Alto Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, Trumpet, French Horn(3), Trombone, Tuba|
|Privacy||Everyone can see this score|
|License||None (All rights reserved)|